Studying in the United States using Student Visas

Studying in the United States using Student Visas

Many people may wish to study in the United States in a bid to pursue their dreams in the various fields on offer. To study in the United States one has to obtain a visa first before beginning the nay study. There are different types of visas available for the different types of reasons students may wish to study in the US.

Firstly, the F-1 visa is the most commonly used visa for students in the US and is suitable for people undertaking their undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral studies. Additionally, students who may wish to study English at any institution offering the English language as a subject also has to use the F-1 visa. On the other hand, there also exists an M-1 visa, which may be used by students who may wish to pursue studies that are non-academic such as vocational studies or any types of training in the United States. Finally, there is also a J-1 visa, which may be used by persons going for work-related or study-related exchange programs, persons pursuing internship opportunities and even professors who may be planning to give a number of lectures over a set period. This means that such a program will earn credit hour in the US while pursuing his/her degree after which the person can return home to continue with his/her degree.

Before applying for either the F-1 visa or the M-1 visa, the applicant has to prove that he/she has been accepted in a university in the United States that is recognized. Additionally, the applicant also has to be enrolled in a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to be eligible to apply for a student visa in the US. Once a student is accepted into a university in the US, he/she has to be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) after paying the SEVIS I-901 fee to ensure that his/her details are in the system in case of any future enquiries. After finishing the above process, the student will then receive an I-20 form from the college/university he/she has been admitted to which is actual evidence that the student is eligible for a student visa in the US. Once this process is complete, the student will also have to attend an interview that will be scheduled before having the student visa application accepted or rejected. It is only after this process is completed that the student can be issued with an M-1, J-1 or an F-1 visa to continue with his/her studies in the United States.


The author didn't add any Information to his profile yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked. *

Hi! How can we help you?

Click below button to start chat

Chat Icon
chat icon